Well, it was about time.
Six years after applying for my Chinese driver’s license for the first time, it was time to have it renewed.
As this was the first time for me to renew, I was not sure where to start, so I asked one of my Chinese colleagues for help.
He pointed me to go to a local office in Jin Qiao, Pudong district (since I live in Pudong) for renewal but I got turned down when they realized that my driver’s license was issued in Pu Xi, I was requested to go to the office in Hami road for renewal.
For those in the same situation that I was, I am as a result of this highlighting the process to follow but first make sure you have the following documents in hand:
- Current passport and a copy of the identification page
- Old passport and copy of the old passport identification page (if you have applied for a driver’s license with the old passport)
- Temporary residence registration form and a copy
Also, if you cannot read or write basic Chinese, you may need to ask a Chinese friend for help.
The process is as follows:
- When you arrive at the location, go to Building 10 to pay and get your pictures taken, queue up at the window where the staff will ask to see your passport, driver’s license, and temporary residence form then pay 25 RMB
- In the same building, go into the room to take the pictures
- Go to building 9 to pick up the newly made photos
- Now it is time to get and fill out an application for the health check. The form was in Chinese only, so unless you can read and write in Chinese, you may ask a friend for help here.
- Another queue to hand in the filled form and pay for the health check: 60 RMB.
- The next step is to go out of the building, turn left, and take the stairs up. At this stage, you will go from room 201 to 207 to do different health checks and get the form stamped. Take the health check to the window on the right to submit it.
- The final step is to go to building 1 at the counter to show all the documents (along with the health check) to get a number and wait to be called to one of the desks to submit everything.
- Once done, go to the second floor to pay the 10 RMB service fee then back downstairs to pick up your new license.
Et voila! You get a new license valid this time for 10 years.
16 thoughts on “How to renew your Chinese driver’s license in Shanghai?”
Thanks dude, this really saved my life. One question though, if I just got a new passport and my current driver’s license was registered using the old passport, do I still have to go through the medical exam? Seems like a waste of time.
Hi Mark, yes I was in the same situation so you would need to bring your old and new passport when being issued the new driver’s license.
The medical exam is still a must have, regardless of passport change.
Please note that the new driving license would be valid for 10 years
would anyone tell me that what is the procedure for renewal of the driving license with the Toursit L visa in china? because my license will expire in a month?
The procedure was meant for those who have a passport with a residence permit or a visa allowing for a stay over 90 days.
Sorry, I am not personally aware of anyone who renewed the driving license while on tourist visa.
I have a driving license from Shandong which needs to ne renew. Can I do it in Shanghai Puxi as I live in Xuhui district now? What is required?
Last time I checked (back in 2013) is that it was not possible to renew a driving license from a different city into Shanghai but who knows, things may have changed.
Best way to find out is to call and check.
Here is the phoe number: 64881842
Hi A: May I ask whether you successfully renewed it in Shanghai and what was the procedure like? I am in the same situation with you. Many thanks in advance.
Of course! The procedure there is what I followed to get the renewal done and it was smooth really. When are you due for renewal?
Great summary that really helped me a lot going through the process. Here are a few thoughts that may add some value:
1. I recommend running the renewal process at the earliest 1 day less than 3 months before expiry (ideally, 89 days or less) but probably no later than the expiration date, in other words not too early. If you are too early the system will not be able to process the renewal if the renewal is applied for at a too early date.
2. It might make sense to pick the number in the waiting hall in building 1 as soon as the application papers are at hand. The preceeding process steps (passport photo, medical check etc.) are very efficient, the waiting for the acutal application procedure can be rather long.
3. Copies can be made in building 1 on the 2nd floor at window 29 or 39 (i forgot the number, last window in the 2nd room anyway) for 1 Yuan each
4. Temporary residence registration: If you have a new passport, make sure that the new passport number shows up in the registration form, even if you may have your visa / residence permit in the old passport (you need to bring a copy of the visa / residence permit as well). Also, you may want to write down the complete address of the place you stay at in full – sometimes, hotels will only write the hotels in the registration form.
Hey mate! Yep, those are all valid comments. May I have your permission to incorporate them in the original post?
Drivers License Renewal
I found a place in Kangqiao that does it even though I had my licence issued in Humi Rd initially. Hunan highway #2638 – Shanghai traffic police general team no. 3. Kaochang.
Start at Building 4, turn left & at the end. 3rd floor.
Give passport to lady at the glass window in the hall like area. Pay ¥60
Next, same floor, Picture, then collect pics ¥25
Go next door for Health check. You look at a chart, check for colour blindness, show you can grip, squat down and stand up.
All those happened in the same building and floor.
Next, go to Building 1.
* Turn right and get number at help desk
* Wait until they call your number.
Once they call your number they will check your documents and you will pay ¥6. You can use WeChat / Alipay.
Go to window 22 when they call your number to get the licence.
I have pictures of the whole process.Took me 4.25 hrs
Thanks Brad for the info. Very useful indeed!
Temporary resident permit is referring to the paper that we applied from the police station right? my residence visa expired and i’m using business visa. Can I renew?
Even with a business visa, you still need the temporary registration form which is indeed the paper you get at the police station. However, in order to renew the driving license, you need to show a residence permit of at least 3 months so I am afraid this may not be possible (at least in tier-1 cities like Shanghai and Beijing)
If you need to ask it means you can’t.
The people there are retarded. If it says you need temp permit, then you absolutely can’t use anything else.
I loved your blog. Really Great.
Comments are closed.