Ultimate Guide to the Medical check for the residence permit

Ultimate Guide to the Medical check for the residence permit

It is required for applicants coming to China with a “Z” visa for working or a long-term “X” visa as a student to complete the medical check for the residence permit at the state medical center.

China’s medical care laws

A second medical exam is required once applicants enter China for the purpose of applying for a residence permit. The overseas medical review was for the visa allowing the applicant to enter.

The medical exam may also be required at the local state medical center if you are changing employers or cities in China.

Additionally, some cities require medical forms annually, but a full medical is not required. It may also be needed when changing cities or employers, or if applicants have lived in China for a long time.

You should check online or ask a friend to get you specific information about a specific medical center for this purpose in the city where you are. Usually, there are only one or two of these centers per town or city, making the medical center very busy with long queues during peak hours. You may need to make an appointment in some places, and you’ll need to bring your confirmation number with you.

The best results are by using the Internet Explorer browser. If the website does not work, then we suggest you try again later because such websites are always updating. Several people have also visited the medical center for assistance in scheduling appointments.

Medical centers in specific cities may have other requirements than those listed below.

  • Original Passport
  • Copy of the ID page of the passport
  • Copy of the Police registration form
  • Copy of the Visa page
  • The latest entry stamp (if not on the adjoining page)
  • 4 2-inch photos

The website does not differentiate between “required” and “suggested” documents in some cities.

Medical centers only accept cash, and medical exam costs vary by city. Some cities charge as little as 350 RMB, while others charge as much as 1,200 RMB.

After verifying your documents, usually, the procedures are quite orderly, requiring you to go from room to room to do the relevant medical tests and then submit your completed documents back to the receptionist when you have completed them. You will also be guided through the process by the staff. They usually speak a little English.

As a separate service, you will have to pay a small fee to have your medical results mailed to you. The majority of centers do it at no charge. If you intend to use this service, you should have a shipping address in Chinese characters and a contact person’s phone number available.

Here are some links to medical centers in major cities:

BEIJINGBeijing International Travel Healthcare Center
20 Hepingli North Street, Dongcheng Dist., Beijing
FUJIANFujian Provincial Hospital (South Branch)
No. 516 Jinrong South Road, Fuzhou, Fujian
GUANGZHOUHealth Care Center of Guangzhou International Travel
4F, 5/F East Tower, Poly Bld, No. 59 Huali Rd, Zhujiang New Town, Guangzhou
SHANGHAIShanghai International Travel Healthcare Center(Headquarters)
Address:No.15 Jinbang Rd.,Shanghai
Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center(Pudong Branch)
Address:No.2090 Jinqiao Rd.,Shanghai,P.R.China

Laws relating to medical care in China

The following subjects require health certificates:

  • Foreign nationals (including their accompanying family members) who apply for residence in China or who have been in China for one year or more for employment or study
  • Foreigners who temporarily come to China with F, L visas, and other temporary requests to stay in China in order to change their status, settle down, work, and study overseas. The public security organs will issue them residence permits after they have been approved by the competent authorities
  • Foreigners who are required to undergo health examinations or re-examinations as needed

Health certificates are not required for the following foreigners residing in China:

  • Representatives of United Nations agencies, embassies, consulates, offices in China, and their accompanying families;
  • Persons who obtained a residence permit before the promulgation of the Rules for the Implementation of the Law on the Entry and Exit of Aliens;
  • Extending the stay of aliens with a residence permit;
  • Children under the age of 16

In addition to identifying plague, cholera, and yellow fever in foreigners, Annex 2 outlines requirements for health examinations and re-examinations:

  • Infectious diseases, such as soft chancre, gonorrhea, lymphogranuloma, infectious syphilis, etc;
  • Leprosy contagious (传染性麻风病);
  • Tuberculosis (开放性肺结核);
  • The AIDS epidemic;
  • Illness of the mind (精神病).

A health certificate issued by a public hospital in the host country must be submitted by foreigners applying for a work visa (Z-visa).

It is possible that the applicant will need to notarize the report by the notary office of the state where he/she resides if the document is issued by a private hospital.

From the date of issuance, the health certificate is valid for six months.

If a foreigner holds a health certificate issued by the health quarantine office or the relevant health and medical department of the country where it is required to be confirmed by the unit in charge of physical examination, they will be recognized and issued a certificate when they have passed the verification.

The healthcare department shall immediately report to the Ministry of Health if a foreigner suffers from the diseases listed in Article 2 of this regulation.

An immediate deportation must be approved by one of the following:

  • Public security
  • Directly under the Central Government is the bureau of the province, autonomous region, or municipality
  • Public security organs will assist the local health and medical departments in supervising their exit.

People with mental health conditions can be allowed to leave the country ahead of time by the public security bureau, with assistance from the health and medical departments.

The provisions of this article do not apply to foreigners with green cards who have settled in China.