PU Letter lifted for some China Visas

For those planning to come to China for work or reunite with family, the PU Letter prerequisite has been lifted.

Here is a breakdown of what is required for what kind of visa:

Visa CategoryKey DocumentsNotes
Z Visa (Work)– Notice of Foreign Work Permit (NFWP)
– WHO-Approved Vaccination Certificate (see details below)
May be joined by spouse/partner and dependents who are younger than 18 years old.
S1/S2 Visa
(Family Reunion)
– Relationship Certificate
– WHO-Approved Vaccination Certificate (see details below)
Open to relatives of foreigners working in China.

Note: After landing in China, travelers will have to follow the quarantine guidelines in China, which change from one city to another and region to territory.

What is a WHO-Approved Vaccine?

The list of WHO-Approved vaccines are as follows:

  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Moderna (mRNA-1273)
  • J&J COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Oxford/AstraZeneca
  • Sinopharm
  • Sinovac


  • For those applying for an M Visa (Business visa), they are still expected to apply for a PU Letter to visit China unless they have a Chinese Vaccine Certificate (Sinopharm or Sinovac).
  • Business travelers are not allowed yet to bring along family members on their trips.

Comments are closed.