How to apply for a China Exit-Entry Permit for Mixed-Nationality Kids In Shanghai

How to apply for a China Exit-Entry Permit for Mixed-Nationality Kids In Shanghai

Discover how to secure a China Exit-Entry Permit in Shanghai and pave the way for hassle-free international journeys.

Are you navigating the complexities of mixed-nationality children’s travel in China? Learn here the essential steps and documents required.

Understanding the Nationality Challenge

Mixed-nationality children born in China face unique challenges. If one parent holds a foreign passport while the other has a Chinese one, the child automatically gains Chinese citizenship at birth.

However, China does not recognize dual citizenship, resulting in a “nationality conflict.” This presents a roadblock for obtaining a Chinese passport or traveling on a foreign one.

If you want your kid to keep the foreign nationality and renounce the Chinese one then obtaining an Entry-Exit Permit is crucial for traveling.

Step-by-Step Guide to Obtain an Entry-Exit Permit

1. Gathering Essential Documents

To get started, you’ll need the following documents:

  • Child’s documents:
    • Foreign passport
    • Birth certificate (出生证明)
    • Hukou (居民户口簿)
    • Three two-inch color photos
  • Chinese parent’s documents:
    • ID card (身份证)
    • Shanghai Residence Permit (上海居住证)
  • Foreign parent’s documents:
    • Foreign passport
    • Resident Permit or Work Permit (工作许可证)
    • Chinese-language Marriage Certificate (结婚证)
    • Chinese name of the child
    Ensure you have copies of all documents, as they will be required during the application process.

2. Visiting the Entry-Exit Office

The application must be submitted in person, with both parents present (at least for the first-time application). Children under 16 do not need to be present. The primary location for this process is the Pudong Minsheng Lu office, and appointments are not necessary.

3. Dealing with Absent Parents

If both parents cannot be present, you can provide someone with a Power of Attorney (授权书) to apply on your behalf. Consult with English-speaking lawyers for assistance in such cases.

4. Special Scenarios

In cases where the child’s name on the birth certificate differs from their foreign passport, a statement from your consulate confirming their identity is required.

For children born out of wedlock, a report from an authorized agency establishing the parent-child relationship is necessary.

For children born before marriage, a paternity test at the Academy of Forensic Science is mandatory.

Application Day at the Exit-Entry Office

Both parents need to be present unless a Power of Attorney is in place.

Here’s what you should expect:

  • Visit the information counter on the first floor to collect an application form and pick a number. Choose between self-pickup (自取) and delivery (快递).
  • Wait until your number is called, and submit your documents. The officer will retain them and provide a new receipt.
  • Head to the cashier and pay 15rmb. The cashier will stamp your receipt.
  • If you’ve chosen the delivery option, proceed to the EMS counter, pay an additional 15rmb, and provide your delivery address for document shipment.

Re-Entering China: A Long-Term Solution

Once you have the Entry-Exit permit, remember that it allows only one exit and one entry.

For a more permanent solution, consider applying for a Travel Permit (旅行证) via the Chinese embassy/consulate in your location.

This option typically offers two years of validity and multiple entry/exit privileges, simplifying your child’s international journeys.

By following these steps and ensuring the required documents, you can navigate the complexities of mixed-nationality children’s travel in China smoothly.

Don’t let “nationality conflict” stand in the way of your child’s international adventures.