To transfer from a work residence permit to a family reunion residence permit without leaving China, you need to follow the instructions provided by the Chinese authorities in the city of application but here we will provide you with a general checklist.
The process involves canceling your old work permit and residence permit and applying for a family reunion residence permit.
You will need to submit the following documents:
- Valid passport or other international travel documents.
- Completely filled VISA / STAY PERMIT / RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION FORM with recent half-length, white background, bareheaded, full-faced 2-inch color photo. Please fill in the application form in black ink or sign pen.
- Valid accommodation registration form of the applicant obtained from local police station or hotel of present residence.
- The certificate or letter on family relationship or kinship:
- For Q1 & Q2 holders, certificate letters of family relationship or kinship.
- For non-Q1 & Q2 holders, supportive documents on family relationship or kinship, such as Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate (or equivalent document) or notarial Certificate (These documents issued by foreign authorities or notary offices need to be authenticated by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in the relevant country).
- Note: If one or more of the aforesaid documents could not be provided, the applicant may voluntarily provide other relative supporting documents.
- The identification documents of the person to be visited and a proof of over 6 months’ residence in China as follows:
- For applicant visiting a Chinese citizen: Household Register (or Temporary Residence Certificate if living in a city different than the Hukou’s) and Personal Identification Card.
- For applicant visiting a foreigner: Foreign passport, residence permit or the Foreigner’s Permanent Residence Card in China.
- For applicant visiting an overseas Chinese: China passport, permanent resident permit of present residence country, a Registration Form of Temporary Residence with validity of over 6 months issued by the local police station of present residence in China.
- For applicant visiting Hong Kong or Macao residents: valid Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents and a Registration Form of Temporary Residence with validity of over 6 months or Resident Permit For Hong Kong and Macao Residents issued by a local police station.
- For applicant visiting Taiwan residents: valid Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents or Travel Document of People’s Republic of China and a Registration Form of Temporary Residence with validity of over 6 months or Resident Permit For Taiwan Residents issued by a local police station.
Please note that this information is subject to change, so it is advisable to consult with the relevant authorities in the city of application for the most up-to-date instructions.